Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Dwarfism Awareness Month | Post 10

This post is from October 31, 2015. Because of life, I'm just getting around to publishing it today. 

On this final day of Dwarfism Awareness month, I wanted to share a few things that make Otto unique not because he was born with achondroplasia, but because he's Otto. He's not defined by his diagnosis, and I hope all of you will someday get the chance to meet and know him.

  • He is always (yes, ALWAYS) happy. 
  • When he gets excited, he moves his legs faster than I've ever seen anyone move their legs before. He's even earned himself the nickname of "Legs" at daycare. 
  • Whether it's playing with instruments or dancing in the living room, he loves music. 
  • He prefers to be outside. In fact, as a newborn, there were times when the only way I could get him to eat was to go outside. 
  • He had a great sense of humor. Even at his young age, he knows how to play tricks and laughs at his extremely funny parents. 
  • He has become a bottomless pit when it comes to eating. This is major change from one year ago. His favorite foods are macaroni and cheese (shocking, I know), raspberries, fish sticks, tater tots, ketchup and ice cream.
  •  He loves his sister (and she loves him). It's so fun to see Otto make his way close to Mae when they are playing and often reach for her hand/arm/leg to hold. I'm sure that they will have typical sibling disagreements, but I can already tell that they'll be great buds.

At the end of the day, we all have something that makes us different. When we take the time to learn about each other's differences, it leads to a more understanding and compassionate world for everyone.

Thanks for reading along this month. If I've left any of your questions unanswered, please comment below (or reach out to me privately, if you'd prefer) and I'd be happy to explain more!

the best of buds

No comments:

Post a Comment